Rangers 3-1 Dumbarton- Match Report

Rangers 3-1 Dumbarton: Match Report - view commentary, squad, and statistics of the game as it happened.Rangers earn battling Ibrox winKenny McDowall secured his first win as Rangers boss as the Ibrox men ground out a 3-1 win over Dumbarton.The caretaker manager was given a painful introduction to the job last week as his side were humiliated 4-0 by Hibernian in Edinburgh.But they responded to Andy Graham's opener for Ian Murray's visitors with first-half strikes from Jon Daly and Lee Wallace to finally give McDowall something to smile about.Dean Shiels capped off the win in stoppage time but only after Rangers had survived a few harum-scarum moments in their own box late on.It was far from a perfect display but the Light Blues did show some slight progress as they trimmed Hearts' Championship lead back to 13 points.A minute's silence was impeccably observed before kick-off as Rangers paid tribute to the 66 fans who lost their lives in the Ibrox Disaster, which occurred on January 2, 1971.But there was also an air of expectation around the stadium before kick-off following share purchases made by Dave King and the Three Bears - Douglas Park, George Letham and George Taylor - which mean they now control 34 per cent of the club.The wealthy supporters face a battle in their mission to oust Mike Ashley from Ibrox, but the fight to get the team back to its former heights could be even tougher.McDowall dropped Ian Black, Fraser Aird and Nicky Clark following that Easter Road defeat.But the frailties were still clear to be seen, as the Sons proved by taking a shock lead after 15 minutes.Chris Turner's corner was floated long to the back post

Either Lee McCulloch or goalkeeper Steve Simonsen should have dealt with it but instead they allowed Colin Nish to nod down for Graham, who forced the ball over the line.The ragged Rangers defence was all over the place moments later as former Hibernian striker Nish was allowed to go unmarked before heading straight at Simonsen - prompting another angry outburst from the home support.The Light Blues had not lost to the men from the Rock since 1891 and their worst fears were relieved as Daly levelled.Steven Smith's low cross from the left clipped off defender Lee Mair before cannoning onto Daly's knee and bouncing past wrong-footed Dumbarton goalkeeper Danny Rogers.Rangers continued to press but had to wait until three minutes before the break before adding a second goal.Having endured so much lifeless football of late, the home fans were treated to a beauty of a goal

Richard Foster sent a clearance up to Kenny Miller, whose control was perfect before he found David Templeton.The winger kept the pace of the move going as he switched the ball back out to the left for Smith who drove forward before finding Wallace on the edge of the box.The left-back's first touch set him nicely before he rifled his low shot in off the base of the post.Now in front, Rangers started the second period looking more self-assured.Kenny Miller fired just wide after a driving run, while Kyle Hutton could only shoot over after some patient build-up play teed him up 25 yards out.A Foster cross placed right onto Miller's head deserved better than to be nodded wide just after the hour mark.Smith was Rangers' best performer but he was left to trudge off 10 minutes from time with a red face

After darting down the left the midfielder was just about to pull the trigger when he stumbled forward and landed flat on his face.There was no time to redeem himself as he was replaced by Shiels.But the calm disposition of the Glasgow giants was shattered in the last few frantic moments.First substitute Aird had to block Mitch Megginson's close-range attempt before Chris Kane wasted a chance to snatch a point as he volleyed over as the match moved into stoppage time.Shiels made sure of the win as he slotted home in injury time after Clark - another second-half replacement - led a swift breakaway

Source : PA

Source: PA