Rangers 3-0 Kilmarnock- Match Report

Rangers cruise to win over Kilmarnock

Rangers grabbed their biggest win of the Ladbrokes Premiership campaign so far to move up to second place after beating Kilmarnock 3-0 at Ibrox.

Lee Wallace fired Gers ahead after 16 minutes before an Andy Halliday penalty just before the half-hour mark gave Gers a two-goal interval lead.

Joe Garner then added a third soon after the restart to give under-pressure boss Mark Warburton some welcome respite.

His side were booed off after their midweek draw with St Johnstone but victory sees them climb to 19 points, leapfrogging Saints, Aberdeen and Hearts.

Killie were hoping for a victory which would have moved them into the top six but they stay in seventh.

Warburton has faced increasing scrutiny following his side's disappointing start to the campaign but he was pleased to see Gers set out with a snappy tempo.

The hosts were holding their annual Remembrance memorial and rolled out a light artillery gun to mark the end of a minute's silence.

The smoke from its ear-cracking blast had barely cleared when Jason Holt fizzed wide with the game's first chance while Michael O'Halloran had the Killie defence in a panic as he darted to the byline before sending a dangerous ball across goal.

Kilmarnock attacker Jordan Jones looked just as lively as his Gers counterpart as he skipped past James Tavernier before whipping a shot beyond the far post.

But it was the impressive O'Halloran's turn again soon after as he collected a sublime cross-field pass from Windass

The jet-heeled winger sped into the box but Jamie MacDonald was out smartly to block his shot.

It was another fine pick-out from the former Accrington Stanley playmaker Windass which created the opener.

The 22-year-old turned away from Luke Hendrie on half-way with a clever dummy before rolling the ball beyond the Killie back-four for the galloping Wallace, who gave MacDonald the eyes before beating the keeper at his near post.

The second came after 29 minutes when Stevie Smith's clumsy challenge on Jason Holt left referee John Beaton with no choice but to point to the spot.

MacDonald correctly guessed Halliday would go down to his right but was beaten by the pace of his strike.

Rory McKenzie had to head clear from under his own bar to prevent Clint Hill giving his side the third.

There was a fight and sense of belief in the Gers ranks that has rarely been seen this term and they made sure of just the points just two minutes into the second half.

Windass scuffed his volley on the corner of the box but it made its way into the six-yard box, where Garner was lurking to tap home his second goal in two games.

Killie sent on former Ibrox hitman Kris Boyd as they sought a lifeline but it was the man wearing his old number nine jersey Kenny Miller who came close to a fourth for Rangers, with MacDonald forced into another diving save to keep out the veteran's 25-yard effort.

Source : PA

Source: PA