Youths Grab Late Winner - U19s - Rangers 1-0 Dundee United

Last updated : 31 January 2009 By Elfideldo
The game got off to a slow start with little action in the early stages. The first hint of a threat at goal came in 12 minutes, Darren Cole released Archie Campbell on the right, his cut back found its way to Jamie Ness at the edge of the box, but his miss hit shot drifted harmlessly wide.

At the other end Ryan Dow played a through ball and Arturs Vaiculus had to look sharp to save at the feet of the on rushing striker. In the 22nd minute Rangers came close, when Gregg Wylde hit the byline and when his low cross was cleared by the United defender it his one of his colleagues and just went past the post for a corner.

A couple of minutes later Craig McShea shot from the edge of the box and the keeper saved low to his left. On 37 minutes Rangers had the best chance of the first half, Kyle Hutton played Archie Campbell through. the keeper managed to save at his feet as he tried to go round him, the ball broke to Gregg Wylde but the keeper blocked his effort with his leg.

On 40 minutes a good run from Jamie Ness gave Isa Bagci a chance, but his weak shot was saved easily. Then right on half- time a corner found its way to Ross Perry inside the box, but the defender cleared his effort off the line at the keeper's right hand post.

Half Time:- Rangers 0 Dundee United 0

The first effort was soon after the break, a long range shot from Gregg Wylde, easily held by the keeper. The game then went into a bit of a lull, with only a few substitutions to try and brighten proceedings.

On 63 mins a neat flick form Stephen Stirling, was headed down by Bacgi to substitute Kane Hemmings, but his shot was blocked by the defender. Two minutes later the keeper conceded a corner with a good diving save from a Stephen Stirling shot.

On the 70 minute mark Rangers had two half chances. First a Kyle Hutton shot was fumbled by the keeper, but he recovered quickly to gather before any Rangers player got close. Then a long throw gave Jamie Ness a chance this time the keeper save more comfortably.

With 15 minutes remaining a good run and shot by Bagci ended with the ball being deflected over for a corner. Five minutes later he was replaced by Kal Naismith, which was to prove significant.

With 2 minutes remaining, just as it was looking unlikely Rangers snatched the winner. A long throw from Hemmings was helped on by the head of Jamie Ness, the ball dropped at the feet of Kal Naismith on the six yard box and he managed to prod the ball home.

Full Time:- Rangers 1 Dundee United 0

Not the best performance from the youths this season, but it was a game they dominated, with Dundee United not having a meaningful effort at goal in the 90 minites.

Rangers :- Arturs Vaiculus; Darren Cole, Ross Perry, Danny Wilson, Gregg Wylde; Kyle Hutton, Stephen Stirling, Jamie Ness, Craig McShea (Kane Hemmings 50 mins); Archie Campbell (Max Wight 62 mins), Isa Bagci ( Kal Naismith 80 mins).

Match report kindly supplied by