Scots' Three-Goal Win

Last updated : 08 May 2009 By Southside Johnny
Attendance 2,110

There was a great deal to encourage George Burley as Scotland defeated Northern Ireland 3-0 in tonight's 'B' International at Broadwood with impressive displays from debutant George Boyd as well as forgotten Ranger Andy Webster - together with his club colleague Steven Naismith.

There was Ibrox interest on both sides with youngster Andrew Little in the visitors line-up - and for good measure two of his team-mates were from right good Ulster stock, namely Chris Casement and substitute goalkeeper Trevor Carson.

There was a miserable attendance present of just 2,110 - reflecting the bleakness of both the weather and the venue as well of course as the small matter of competing live television coverage of the Champions League.

The Scots almost got off to the perfect start when Steven Hammell's wide-angled free-kick was fumbled by Jonathan Tuffey in the second minute - but the visiting goalkeeper retrieved the situation.

Steven Naismith embarked on a mazy run on the quarter-hour mark only to see his fifteen-yard shot parried by Tuffey.

Two minutes later at the other end Josh McQuoid cut in from the right but his effort from the edge of the box was just over.

Former Ranger Chris Burke's surging run in 24 minutes produced a shot from the edge of the box that was touched over by Tuffey.

A dreich first-half ended goalless - but the Scots opened the scoring three minutes after the restart when Webster netted at the second attempt following a cleverly worked Ian Black / Naismith corner.

Irish substitute Oliver Norwood almost restored parity in 69 minutes when his 25-yard free-kick was tipped over by David Marshall.

George Boyd had been outstanding on his Scotland debut - and he capped his fine performance with the second goal seven minutes later when he netted from eighteen yards following a Leigh Griffiths pass.

The Livingston substitute rounded off a good night for the home side when he went through on a Boyd pass, rounding Carson before stroking the ball home in 85 minutes.

Afterwards George Burley enthused:

"It was an excellent work-out. Tonight was not a night when the result counted - but a chance to try out players too old for the Under-21's. Andy Webster was outstanding when I was at Hearts - and demonstrated tonight that he is still capable, despite all his injury problems."

SCOTLAND Marshall (Norwich City) [Turner (Nottingham Forest) 77]; Cuthbert (St. Mirren) [Ross (St. Mirren) 45], Hammell (Motherwell) [Easton (Hamilton Academical) 45]; Arfield (Falkirk) [Black (Inverness Caledonian Thistle) 45], Webster (Rangers), Reynolds (Motherwell); Burke (Cardiff City) [Bannan (Derby County) 68], Hughes (Motherwell), Clarkson (Motherwell), [Griffiths (Livingston) 75] Naismith (Rangers), Boyd (Peterborough United)

NORTHERN IRELAND Tuffey (Partick Thistle) [Carson (Sunderland) 61]; Weir (Sunderland) [Gibb (Stirling Albion) 45], Lafferty (Celtic) [Duffy (Everton) 61]; Casement (Ipswich Town); McGivern (Manchester City), Evans (Manchester United); McQuoid (Bournemouth) [Lawrie (Port Vale) 36], O'Connor (Crewe Alexandra) [Garrett (Linfield] 68), Little (Rangers), McCourt (Celtic) [Ferguson (Newcastle United) 68], McGinn (Celtic) [Norwood (Manchester United) 68]

REFEREE Stuart Attwell (England)