Late Boyd strike ensures 'Gers march on

Last updated : 18 February 2010 By Southside Johnny
Rangers 1 (Boyd 86) St. Mirren 0

Attendance 31,086

A late Kris Boyd goal secured a narrow 1-0 win for Rangers over St. Mirren in tonight's Scottish Cup replay at Ibrox Stadium to ensure the Light Blues' progress into the last eight.

On a bitterly cold night of sub-zero temperatures, the Cup Holders made six changes from Sunday with Kirk Broadfoot, Steven Smith, Steven Naismith, Maurice Edu, Kyle Lafferty and Nacho Novo replacing Steven Whittaker, Sasa Papac, Lee McCulloch, Kevin Thomson, DaMarcus Beasley and Kenny Miller against a Paisley side unchanged from the first game.

Rangers were out for an early goal with Steve Davis testing visiting goalkeeper Paul Gallagher in three minutes with a 25-yard snap-shot that was held.

Four minutes later Boyd's cross-field pass found Naismith whose angled shot was just wide of the target.

The early action soon faded however - and the frozen 31,086 crowd were forced to suffer turgid proceedings for much of the remainder of the half with Saints keeping nine men behind the ball and Rangers unable to open them up.

Naismith's angled volley from a Madjid Bougherra cross in 39 minutes was held by Gallagher - then three minutes later a 25-yard rocket from Davis flew inches wide

The restart brought the promise of better fare ahead, with firstly Boyd netting from Novo's driven cross in 48 minutes only for linesman James Bee to flag for offside - then three minutes later the centre's twenty-yard volley from Lafferty's lay-off was touched over by Gallagher.

St. Mirren finally crossed the halfway line for long enough to win a corner in 54 minutes, and from Andy Dorman's kick Lee Mair was offered a free header that flew too high.

Two minutes later Billy Mehmet's effort from a Hugh Murray cross was held by Allan McGregor.

Miller replaced Novo on seventy minutes - and six minutes later a surging run from Davis almost broke the deadlock, his parting shot being blocked by Gallagher.

Just when extra-time appeared inevitable, to great relief Boyd struck in 86 minutes when he flicked the ball into the roof of the net after Smith's long ball had been nodded on by Broadfoot.

The Cup Holders went all out to add a second - two minutes later Miller raced through on a Naismith pass only to see his angled shot flash across the face of goal.

In injury time, Naismith's surging run from the halfway line ended with a vicious shot from the edge of the box that was turned over by Gallagher.

Rangers were through to the quarter-finals where they will entertain Dundee United.

RANGERS McGregor; Broadfoot, Weir, Bougherra, Smith; Naismith, Davis, Edu, Lafferty; Boyd (Fleck 88), Novo (Miller 70)
UNUSED SUBS Alexander, Whittaker, Wilson

ST. MIRREN Gallagher; Ross (O'Donnell 70), Innes, Mair, Potter, Barron; Thomson, Dorman, Murray (Carey 88); Mehmet, Higdon (Dargo 81)
UNUSED SUBS Howard, Ramsay

REFEREE Iain Brines